[Ubuntu-users] did I miss something? (installing Ubuntu along with Windows XP)

Gryllida gryllida at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 01:36:50 UTC 2010

Windows XP now boots from disk C: . It is the only partition I have.
Mu user's files and distributives of the apps I have installed are at
another computer. I have to to shrink the partition to install Ubuntu
and found these steps to do:

0) burn Ubuntu CD
1) empty recycle bin
2) defragment the hard disk in Windows XP Safe Mode (it'll be faster
and will be able to move the files which would otherwise be in use by
some apps in normal mode)
2.1) reboot Windows XP twice after the defragmentation for it to
notice properly that the defragmentation occurred
3) insert the Ubuntu CD
4) start the installation and tell it to shrink the existing partition
5) ...

Did I forget / miss / don't I know something? I mean, are these the
right steps to do?