Getting a handle on Nautilus

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 16:37:56 UTC 2010

On 17 February 2010 21:33, Seth <ubuntu-users at sehe.nl> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I am really enjoying Nautilus (moved from Dolphin) but I have a few
>> remaining things that I simply cannot figure out how to do. If someone
>> could help, that would be great!
>>
> I second that. Although the stability of the UI in Nautilus is what
> keeps me with Nautilus. I really liked the 'windowsy' rich featureset
> when working with KDE3 Dolphin.

That was d3lophin, and if you liked it you should see the KDE 4 Dolphin! Wow.

>> 1) How to sort by Name, Date Modified, or Size with a keyboard
>> shortcut or icon. I know that I can dig in the menus, or I can do
>> multiple keyboard shortcuts (such as Alt-V,G,D or Alt-V,G,N) but I'd
>> like to make that a single shortcut for Name, a single shortcut for
>> Date, and a single shortcut for Size. Or at least have icons for
>> sorting by these in the toolbar.
>>

> You _could_ click the headers.

I'd rather not.

> Or about 5x tab and space/enter will do
> the trick.

That seems to be more of a workaround than a solution.

> Yes this doesn't beat keyboard accelerators, but I got used
> to it (keyboard-only species here. I prefer to do my word processing in
> vim, e.g.).

Word processing in VIM? Really? I have seen the VIM extension to OOo,
but it really doesn't work very well.

>> 3) Some shortcuts seem to be doubly-assigned, such as Ctrl-F. Although
>> the context menu has F underlined for New Folder, it actually opens
>> the File menu. I don't see how to create a new folder with a keyboard
>> shortcut. How? And can I add an icon for New Folder on the toolbar?
>>
> I'm pretty sure you are getting the working of the context menu wrong.
> The underlined characters are _not_ supposed to be invoked with
> Alt/Ctrl. Once the popup has been activated you can simply hit the bare
> letter (f, not F) to execute the 'New _F_older' menu entry.

In any case, that is too many. Just Ctrl-<something> or
Alt-<something>, no more.

> That said, it annoys me that when using the context menu key to bring up
> the context menu, there is no 'New _Folder_' menu item because Nautilus
> will _always_ assume the context of the current selection (which is a
> file/folder item) and bring up the context menu for that type of item,
> instead of the one for a folder view (try rightclick on an empty area
> instead of on an item to see the difference).

Could you link to the bug report, I'll triage it. Thanks.

> All that said, '_F_ile' menu lists: 'Create _F_older    Shift+Ctrl+N'.
> So it'd be either 'Alt-F, F' or 'Shift+Ctrl+N' to invoke the action. Not
> too hard....

But I'd prefer just a regular shortcut, not a triple.

>> 4) There are three toolbars: menu toolbar, icon toolbar, addressbar.
>> Can I put the icons on the menu toolbar or on the addressbar, as
>> Firefox lets one do? Ideally, they would _all_ be on the same bar to
>> save vertical space (I do have Firefox configured like this).
>>
> Fraid not. I think it is because Firefox is not Gnome...

Fing in the spirit of Gnu or Wine?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.