nfs 3 or 4??

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:23:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Friday, February 19, 2010 05:46 AM, Knapp wrote:
>> I have installed and set up the nfs server but when you get to the
>> auto-mount bit it gives two different formats, one for 3 and one for
>> 4. The aptitude show says:  The NFS kernel server is currently the
>> recommended NFS server for use with Linux,
>>   featuring features such as NFSv3 and NFSv4.
>>
>> So what settings do I use? Is this 3 or 4???
>> Thanks all.
>>

> Unless you need nfs4 extra security (encrypted data/kerberos
> authentication) I would recommend nfs3 since that is what Linux is
> better at serving if my memory serves me right. If you want a nfs4
> server, you'd want to run Solaris/OpenSolaris.

based on what I read it is about the same but has better support for
security as you said but also file locking and lan over the internet.
That internet bit sounds interesting. I guess you could have your home
computer mounted to your work server and be safe with it.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.