Ext3 File System: Dynamic Reorganization

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Feb 19 02:05:13 UTC 2010

On Friday, February 19, 2010 09:33 AM, MirJafar Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering why this is not implemented and available, when there are
> so many articles written in late 90's showing great performance
> improvements.

Are you referring to articles about dumb filesystems such as fat? You
still have not given an example of a filesystem that actually implements
what you were asking for. Maybe it is not such a fantastic idea afterall.

> I was thinking because I could not find any de-fragmentation tool for
> Linux similar to windows, so I was assumings that probably Linux file
> systems are smart and they must be reorganizing behind the hood.

Your assumption about file systems under Linux being smart is correct
but not in the way you imagine. They are, in fact, so much smarter that
they do not need to do any defragmentation...most of them anyway.