nfs 3 or 4??

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:54:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:46, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed and set up the nfs server but when you get to the
> auto-mount bit it gives two different formats, one for 3 and one for
> 4. The aptitude show says:  The NFS kernel server is currently the
> recommended NFS server for use with Linux,
>  featuring features such as NFSv3 and NFSv4.
>
> So what settings do I use? Is this 3 or 4???
> Thanks all.

I just recently ran into this while trying to get NFS mounts over ipv6
(supported in NFSv4).  The NFS server should support exporting to both
v3 and v4 clients.  Now, whether you have to explicitly configure nfsd
to use one or the other, I couldn't tell you off hand.

In any case, it should support either one... and in my experience,
getting a NFS mount using any NFS version is a matter of passing the
parameters to the mount command...

Here's a Red Hat page with info on mounting either NFSv2 or NFSv3
shares via mount:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-nfs-client-config-options.html

Here's a Ubuntu man page on mounting nfs v3 and v4 shares:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/dapper/man5/nfs.5.html

And here's a Ubuntu help page on configuring NFSv4:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto

HTH
Jeff

--

Samuel Goldwyn  - "I don't think anyone should write their
autobiography until after they're dead." -