SCSI scanner sound card conflict

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Feb 17 09:43:54 UTC 2010

Alan Duval wrote:

>>> Yes! but only in root, as xsane otherwise reports "no devices available"

>>> # permissions for HP Scanjet 4P SCSI scanner
>>> SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_generic",ATTRS{vendor}=="HP",ATTRS{model}==C1130A",
>>> NAME="%k", SYMLINK="scanner%n", MODE="0660"
>>> GROUP="scanner"
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>

>>  I can't see anything in concept that would interfere with sound..
>>  however..... if that string was actually copied/pasted, then you are
>>  missing a "  ATTRS{model}==C1130A"  the C1130A" needs a " at the start,
>>  as well.
>

> That was a typo. I do have "C1130A" in the rules file.
>
> If I put a lower number than 45 for the file name would that help so that the
> sound card was installed after the scanner?
> I don't know how to find what loads the sound card or at what stage it loads.
>
> Alan

The thing is, that line is very specific, and I don't see how it could
ever actually affect a sound device at all.  Some kind of syntax error
that was preventing the rest of udev from working is the only idea I have.

Another thing to consider, you said in your first message that if you
comment out the "lines" then your sound works.  That above entry should
all be one line (so be sure your text editor isn't breaking it into
multiple lines.  Also probably a typo, but there's also a comma missing
after the Mode= option.