No more OOo in UNR 10.04

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 19:52:06 UTC 2010

On 02/15/2010 05:09 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>

> On 15/02/2010 23:57, Thomas Dean wrote:
>> What do you think of Google Docs? Are they better than OOo in certain aspects?
>>

> Google Docs doesn't use OpenOffice.org engine in the back end for
> manipulating the documents... it has its own proprietary internal format
> and engine. This means that when you take an ODF file and push it to
> Google Docs and then edit it in Google Docs, you don't get what was
> originally in your file, if you have fancy formatting... same for MS
> Office files, actually.
>
> While neither of these formats are 100% supported, it usually works
> nicely... but there ARE cases where things just don't look like you
> meant them to. That's something to take into account if you create fancy
> documents.
>
> Does that mean better? Or worse? Don't know. If everything you do is
> always IN Google Doc, this may not be a problem for you. If you have to
> exchange docs with people that have the actual MS Office or OOo
> applications, then it may be.
>
> Gilles.

FWI:
<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-une-applications>
<quote>
Whiteboard changed:
  Another Update - rickspencer3 [2010-02-11]
  All in all it seems that users and community members would really
prefer that we ship OOo for the editing suite. We discussed a bit in
#ubuntu-desktop this morning and decided that we should probably switch
back to OOo, which we will do on Monday if we don't hear anything that
makes us change our minds again. We'll do a proper app selection session
at next UDS.
</quote>