GEdit - can't select text with keyboard

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:39:38 UTC 2010

2010/2/15 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>:
> 2010/2/14 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>:

>>>        Yes if you start gedit and then select help they tell you all about
>>> setting up keyboard selection at least on 10.04
>>
>> No, it doesn't provide anything useful for this matter (GEdit 2.28.0).
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

> I found the reason for my problems. Unfortunately I didn't find a way
> to solve it…
> I have my own keyboard layout which I created myself by adding stuff
> to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/se, /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst
> and /usr/share/X11/xkb//rules/evdev.xml.
>
> One of the features of my layout is that I can use my arrow keys for
> typing arrows, like ←↑↓→⬄↹↔⇨, using the AltGr (Right Alt) with or
> without the Shift key.
>
> For example, in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/se, which defines my own
> layout as a variant of the Swedish layout, the right arrow key is
> defined like this:
> key <RGHT> {[Right,                Right,                rightarrow,
>        U21E8                ]};
>
> The four elements within [{}] stands for what happens if we press the
> key alone, with Shift, With AltGr and with Shift+AltGr. Right means
> move the cursor right, rightarrow means the symbol → and U21E8 means
> the hexadecimal code for the Unicode character ”⇨”. So it seems like I
> need to find out what to replace the second ”Right” with to make it
> work. Unfortunately I don't have a clue what it could be, if something
> like that even exists.
>
> I searched in that folder for other files containing ”<RGHT>” and I
> found quite a few, but all of them was done like this:
> key <RGHT> {    [Right ]    };
>
> It seems like that line means something like ”The usual right arrow
> key function”.
>
> One funny thing I found was that I can actually highlight text in some
> other applications, like OpenOffice.org for instance, but not in Gedit
> or Tomboy. I can do it in my web browser though (Opera). Seems like
> some applications do things like that differently.
>
> So I guess I have to write a new thread now about how to solve this.
> I guess that the question marks below displays what I'm looking for,
> in case anyone reads this and know the answer:
>
> key <RGHT> {[Right,                ?????,                rightarrow,
>        U21E8                ]};
>
> This is what I want to obtain:
> →: Move cursor one step to the right
> Shift+→: Move cursor one step to the right and highlight
> AltGr+→: Type a ”→”
> Shift+AltGr+→: Type a ”⇨”

In case someone wonders how I know that the problem is related to my
keyboard layout, I just want to add that I can highlight text with my
keyboard if I switch to the default Swedish layout, but not with my
own layout./
And I also want to point out that everything works with my own
keyboard layout except Shift+[←|↑|↓|→].

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg