Login screen disappeared - karmic

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 14:03:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 05:47, Rafiq Hajat <ipi.malawi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I desperately need your help. I've lost my log in screen and cant boot
> into my gui. This has happened immediately after I installed Bit
> Defender and rebooted.
> I dont get any GRUB screen or restore options...all that happens is
> the boot sequence seems to proceed with the ubuntu logo onscreen and
> then goes blank and shows my terminal command line i.e. aitch-laptop
> login - at which point I enter my password and I don't know what to do
> from thereon.
> I have an urgent deadline to meet and must access my working files
> today and complete the assignment.
> I'm using puppy on the same laptop to communicate with you in the hope
> that you will be kind enough to shed some some light on my quandary.
> Thanks very much!

First of all, now is when you realize that you should really learn how
to use something other than a point and click interface in Linux.
Linux is built around the shell, with the GUI as a convenience placed
on top, unlike certain other Operating Systems that integrate the GUI
into the OS itself.

If you don't know how to use the command line, terminal, shell in
Linux, then you're only half way there.

NOW...

You say it takes you to a command line, you enter your password, and
don't know what to do from there...

the first thing to do would be to run "startx" and see if the GUI
launches at all.  If not, what errors are you seeing?

You can also look in /var/log for the files "messages" and something
like "Xorg.0.log"

To get there, you need to change directories "cd /var/log"

and to look at the files, use less "less messages" or "less
Xorg.0.log" which lets you read the files and navigate them with the
arrow keys.  protip: when you're done, press q to quit.

that should give you some idea as to what is going on, whether X is
not starting and you're being dumped to a terminal, or something else
is happening.

The REAL question, however, is what does bitdefender have to do with
it anyway?  Bitdefender is a windows AV program.

How are your Linux filesystems formatted?  Are they accessible from
within Linux?

--

Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -