Login screen disappeared - karmic

Rafiq Hajat ipi.malawi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 10:47:14 UTC 2010

Hi guys,
I desperately need your help. I've lost my log in screen and cant boot
into my gui. This has happened immediately after I installed Bit
Defender and rebooted.
I dont get any GRUB screen or restore options...all that happens is
the boot sequence seems to proceed with the ubuntu logo onscreen and
then goes blank and shows my terminal command line i.e. aitch-laptop
login - at which point I enter my password and I don't know what to do
from thereon.
I have an urgent deadline to meet and must access my working files
today and complete the assignment.
I'm using puppy on the same laptop to communicate with you in the hope
that you will be kind enough to shed some some light on my quandary.
Thanks very much!
Rafiq Hajat
Executive Director
Institute for Policy Interaction,