Lost Whole Directory

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Sat Feb 13 13:43:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 11:11 +0100, Knapp wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Bill Marcum <marcumbill at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > On 2010-02-13, Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com> wrote:
> >> I just discovered I had lost the contents of a whole directory.
> >>
> >> I have a directory /home/backup/Work/Amradio that somehow became empty.
> >> I last worked in Monday. Since then I have been working in other
> >> directories under /home/backup/Work.
> >>
> >> I looked in the trash, and it is not there.
> >> I have not done anything as a superuser or as sudo for more than a week.
> >> Other than run update manager when it tells me I have updates.
> >>
> >> /home/backup is a mounted disk with an ext3 partition. I am using 8.04.
> >> It is a 372 GB disk with 117 GB used.
> >>
> >> How do I find out what happened? What logs can I go to? Where could it
> >> have gone? How do I track this down?
> >>
> >> Kip
> >
> > Linux systems don't usually keep logs of every file that is deleted. If
> > it's possible the files were merely moved somewhere else, you might have
> > some luck with the "find" or "locate" commands. If /home/backup is completely
> > empty, maybe that disk isn't mounted.
>
> sudo updatedb
> .... wait .....
> locate -filename- | grep filterword-ifyouneedit
>
> That will find it unless it is gone or not mounted. If it is gone you
> still might be able to undelete it, maybe.

Some how somewhere the access to that one directory got changed, and I
was not able to access it.  I changed the permissions and everything
appeared. I rarely mess with permissions.   Weird.

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain