Dell Inspiron 5150 - Suspend to RAM not working... still (part one)

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 12 19:30:24 UTC 2010

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>      I've had this laptop, upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, and now to 9.10.
> Suspend hasn't worked, oh, since 8.04. Finally getting 'round to fixing
> it. Right now, it goes into suspend (from the menu, keyboard combo
> doesn't work), but when I hit the power button to resume, I get:
>
> [  109.218040] pm-op() pci_pm_resume+0x0/0x90 returns -16
> [  109.218044] PM: Device 0000:00:00.0 failed to resume: error -16
>
> Then a blank screen. Have to power off to get going again. Tried
> suggestions from here (tweaking /etc/default/acpi-support):
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron5150
> http://wiki.df.dreamhosters.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Chronicles_Dapper#Suspend_to_memory
>
> I also found these, but haven't had a moment to try yet:
> http://www.amitsrivastava.net/2008-03-23-hibernate-suspend-resolved-ubuntu-gutsy-nvidia-dell-vostro/
> http://taksuyama.com/?p=56
>
>      Another thing I may try, since I have an extra HDD, is doing a test
> with a fresh 9.10 install, since the current likely has leftovers from
> the previous versions.
>
>      Anybody else with a Dell laptop & nVidia chipset get suspend working?
>  (jump to end for my lspci, xorg.conf and acpi-support files)

	Here's what I have for notes so far, a summary of changes I'll try.
Comments, thoughts, insight?

(from Ubuntu Forums thread):
Try turning off wireless, then suspend & resume, as a test.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Add under the “Device” section:
Option “NvAGP” “1"

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
add
blacklist intel_agp
blacklist agpgart

/etc/default/acpi-support
change
ACPI_SLEEP=true
ACPI_HIBERNATE=true
SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
POST_VIDEO=false
SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true (uncomment)
---(Ubuntu Forums post also added):
USE_DPMS=false
DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true (uncomment)
----(dreamhosters site suggests this for acpi-support file:
acpi-support file:
# Save and restore video state?
#SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true (will try this later...)

Compiz:
"...Finally if you’re using compiz (desktop-effects) in conjunction with
NVIDIA binary drivers, make sure your “Sync to VBLANK” option in
“Advanced Desktop Effects Settings > General > Display settings” is
*disabled*. You can set this option to false by running:
gconftool –set /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/sync_to_vblank 0
–type bool
..."

(from one source, taksuyama.com)
/etc/pm/config.d/suspend
add
SUSPEND_MODULES=ath_pci (or whatever the wireless driver is)

(from two other sources, dreamhosters.com & Ubuntu Forum):
/etc/acpi/wireless.sh - because of Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg [ipw2200] wifi:
< echo -n 2 > $DEVICE/device/power/state;
---
 > echo -n 3 > $DEVICE/device/power/state;
(this means replace "echo -n 2" with "echo -n 3")