How to check what version of a package is available in the current ubuntu?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 12 17:30:26 UTC 2010

hi,
Am Freitag, den 12.02.2010, 10:52 -0600 schrieb Peng Yu:
> My bash is of the following version. I'm wondering if I want to update
> bash what version I will get.
>
> $ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> I searched on the ubuntu website. There are too many related packages.
> Could somebody let me know which one will be used when bash is
> updated?
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=bash&searchon=names&suite=karmic&section=all

you seem to have installed jaunty (9.04) on your machine (you can check
that with the lsb_release -a command).

note that packages.ubuntu.com always defaults to the latest release of
ubuntu which would be karmic (9.10) to search for a package in jaunty
you need to explicitly select jaunty on the search form.

as you can see on https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash version 3.2
is in jaunty while 4.0 is in karmic ...

ciao
	oli