How to check what version of a package is available in the current ubuntu?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:20:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My bash is of the following version. I'm wondering if I want to update
>> bash what version I will get.
> <clipped>
>> I searched on the ubuntu website. There are too many related packages.
>> Could somebody let me know which one will be used when bash is
>> updated?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=bash&searchon=names&suite=karmic&section=all
>
> What's the problem with this link? It correctly shows that the bash
> package version is 4.0.5.

See blow. The bash version is not changed. I'm not sure why.

$ sudo apt-get install bash
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
bash is already the newest version.
  libthai-data libdatrie0 fontconfig libthai0
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)