Lucid Alpha and Python 2.4

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Feb 11 22:45:42 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 05:25 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> What is the application? I'd be inclined NOT to use the Debian package
>> and just do a "pip install theApplication" into the virtualenv you
>> create for this application.
>
> For what reasons? Why not just keep your karmic install and use a
> chroot environment for lucid?

Because if you know what you're doing, you don't have to.

> So many possibilities. My personal answer would be to make a virtual
> machine or chroot of lucid and then put it on it's own partition when
> you're satisfied.

That's overkill. I'm perfectly capable of deploying a Xen or OpenVZ VPS
(OpenVZ is like chroot done right) but I see no reason why I'd do either
of those things when I could (and do) just create a virtualenv and
deploy the Python app in question with all its dependencies in the
virtualenv. The virtualenv is a virtual environment for Python, nothing
else. It basically handles PYTHONPATH "automagically" for you so that
you don't have to do it manually. It's perfectly feasible to do it
manually, too.

You really ought to read the pages referenced in the links I posted
about virtualenv a few messages ago. I've pasted below for your convenience.

Install virtualenv <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv> and then
build 2.4 in a virtual environment you create with virtualenv.
Virtualenvwrapper <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenvwrapper> is
also pretty useful. You should also read this:
<http://clemesha.org/blog/2009/jul/05/modern-python-hacker-tools-virtualenv-fabric-pip/>

to have a better understanding of what is possible with all this.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis