missing bootmenu entries

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Feb 11 11:44:52 UTC 2010

Did not reply to you earlier because I do not understand your situation
and I was hoping that someone else who does answer you.

On 02/09/2010 10:03 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Upgraded the Jaunty and Hardy kernels on my multi boot tower yesterday.

What is this multi boot tower and is there any link you can provide so I
can understand it? And how are the kernels upgraded (to this boot)? I
googled but results were zilch.

> The Jaunty upgrade offered the customary choice of grub menus.

Customary choice as in menu entries of kernels or choice to use grub2 or
grub-legacy? Did you do a sudo upgrade-from-legacy thingy in jaunty?

> The Hardy upgrade didn't. When I rebooted Jaunty it ran the latest kernel. Hardy
> didn't show the 2.6.24-26 or 2.6.24-27 kernels in the boot menu. They
> were present in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Looks like I've been
> running the 2.6.24-25 kernel all this time without realizing it. Found a
> couple of Google hits that talked about the problem but with no
> resolution.
>
> Never ran into this before. Anyone have any ideas, docs, pointers?

What is jaunty grub and hardy grub? (grub-install -v)
Are there menu.lst and grub.cfg in Jaunty and Hardy? (/boot/grub/)
What grub is set to sda (mbr)? (if this is of relevance)
Is jaunty /boot on ext4?

Hope this is something we can resolve or at least something new I can
learn. Hope to hear from you but I will be away for at least 3 days from
saturday.

Regards - Goh Lip