sudo versus #

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Thu Feb 11 00:19:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:00:29PM -0800, KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
>> Also, I notice that when Ubuntu gives me those update dialog boxes my root
>> password doesn't work to allow the installation to go forward.  This makes
>
> The system update stuff? Turn off the GUI front end, and then do the update
> from a root shell. Or from cron.

Well.. I may have given the impression that I am thinking the Ubuntu Gnome
based update system is for "babies" (??  {:) ) that like AOL and/or
Microsoft Updates, actually, in the spirit of hoary old lazy admins who
create plenty of aliases so they can cover up their 20 WPM typing skills
with shortcuts (or something) .. actually I am not adverse to letting the
GUI work for me.  Also, although I learned to use the vi editor at the
University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee in their introductory computer
science class in 1985, I only started running my own *nixes a few years
ago:

http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/index.vhtml

I still feel like I need some work to get up to speed.

> --
> Hal

   Kayven Riese, BSCS, MS (Physiology and Biophysics)
   (415) 902 5513 cellular
   http://kayve.net
   Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org