6 GB of RAM but just 4 working, solved

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 22:28:03 UTC 2010

Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> Wade Smart said the following on 10/02/10 00:29:
>> Dont you have to install the server version to access more ram?
> This is only valid for 32 bit kernels.

	Stupid me. I decided to start at ground zero and after
looking at what my computer said, ie: just 2 RAM chips plugged
in, I pulled the cover off and sure enough one of the new RAM
chips was not in the plug right.

	Well with all 3 plugged in the computer would not start!
Tried several times and then recalled that maybe they were in
the wrong plugs. Easy fix, sort of. I moved the RAM chip one
the end into the empty plug and then re-plugged in the power
supply to the motherboard I knocked out. I am 6'4" 245 pounds
and big hands and 75 years old.

	Anyhow it now comes up with EVERYTHING seeing 6GB of RAM.
This 64bit Lucid has the proper kernel and the BIOS is happy
with 6 GB. The "top" says 5867616k total 723520k used.

	Now to put the computer back together and enjoy 6GB of RAM,
somehow...

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI