Sound card hardware device is missing

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 10 23:29:26 UTC 2010

On 02/10/2010 02:36 PM, Robert Pollard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to restore sound to my Ubuntu 9.10 system for months
> now.  I have reinstalled all Alsa drivers but have discovered that the
> problem may be that I can't see the hardware device in System ->
> Preferences -> Sound -> Hardware tab.
>
> I need to know how to reinstall the sound card to make sure I can see
> the hardware device.
>
> System configuration:
>
> Laptop: HP Pavilion dv9000 series
>
> lspci:
>
> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
> (rev a2)
>         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30b7
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
>         Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: <access denied>
>         Kernel driver in use: oss_hdaudio
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

You might first try:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

and then: Applications|Sound & Video|Gnome Alsa Mixer

That's an excellent gui for 'alsamixer' where you can adjust the card
properties easily. Could be that your setting just need to be adjusted.

Also try:
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=MCP51
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=MCP51+%2Bkarmic&field.actions.search=Search>
and of course: