basic - continued

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Feb 10 22:31:20 UTC 2010

sdavmor wrote:
> Joep L. Blom wrote:

>>> Linux only became popular because Andy Tanenbaum didn't want to
>>> add features to Minix, and because BSD was slowed down by
>>> lawsuits at the time. If it weren't for the lawsuits, we would
>>> have had a *real* Unix (BSD) kernel, combined with the GNU tools.
>>> Nobody would have talked about Linux.
>>>

>> I second that. Tannenbaum was professor at the VU (Free University)
>> in Amsterdam and had MINIX developed originally as an exercise in
>> OS development for students just as Wirtz (Switzerland) had
>> developed PASCAL for tutoring High school students. Both are/were
>> however so good that they were used in much wider circles, PASCAL
>> is a much better ( and stricter) language that C which also
>> originally not was developed as a language but as a "sack of
>> subroutines" by Kernigan & Richie (the in Bell Labs) to write a
>> better OS that the then used RSTS on a DEC PDP-11. They called that
>> OS UNIX. Joep
>
> I loved PASCAL. A fine structured programming langauge. And I was very
> impressed by MINIX. I had Tannenbaum's book on MINIX way back when.
> Thought it was very cool.

Well, it is still available now in the form of Lazarus which actually is
a Delphi clone, which in my opinion is only en environment around Pascal
for rapid development. Ine of the most common errors in C-derived
languages is buffer overflow, which is actually not possible in PASCAL
(although you could force it!!).
Joep