sudo versus #

Bill Marcum marcumbill at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 10 21:43:40 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-10, KAYVEN RIESE <kayve at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> It's my understanding that the sudo command basically executes the
> subsequent command as superuser.  I fail to see the difference between
> having a # prompt logged into superuser and sudo, other than ensuring that
> you don't make mistakes, unless having the terminal open can allow
> attackers to infiltrate the system?  I have been using command line unix
> for a long time.  I don't make mistakes.  What is the real implications of
> sudo?
>
> Also, I notice that when Ubuntu gives me those update dialog boxes my root
> password doesn't work to allow the installation to go forward.  This makes
> me irritated, because it instead wants my normal user password, which for
> me by design is a weaker password that I use for more things and thus
> could be more easily cracked.  My root password is longer and I use it for
> less things.  Both are immune to dictionary attack, but it bothers me the
> way this subverts my configuration.

As you know, by default Ubuntu doesn't have a root password. If you know
enough to create a root password, you can customize the security in
other ways. You can edit the /etc/sudoers file to make it require the
root password instead, or to execute specific commands without requiring
a password. See "man sudoers".