6 GB of RAM but just 4 working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 10 21:15:49 UTC 2010

On 02/10/2010 12:47 PM, Thomas K Gamble wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 February 2010 09:15:37 am NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/09/2010 05:26 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>> > 	I am using Lucid 64bit software. But still only 4 of 6 GB
>> > showing on top. I need to read my info on my computer to see
>> > why. I have 4 plugs for 4 2GB RAM or 8GB total.
>>
>> $ sudo lshw > lshwkarl.txt
>>
>> Provide the first portion of your lshwkarl.txt file showing the
>>
>> motherboard and ram (please not the entire file) - example:
>> >     product: Springdale-G
>> >     width: 32 bits
>
> Could that last line be the problem?  32 bit hardware?

Not in Karl's case, that's from my machine, not Karl's. And yes, this
machine is 32bit. I would have posted a 64bit, but I was only providing
an example of which parts of his lshw file to post so that we can see
the details of his machine: 1) what the model/cpu/motherboard is and, 2)
what ram he has plugged in. That way we can easily check to see if his
motherboard can handle 6G of ram. :-)