Unsure of Java/Gnome/MatLab interactions

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Wed Feb 10 20:53:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:

>> KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
>>> I just installed a fresh new Ubuntu last week.. 9.10
>>>
>>> Script done, file is matlab.log
>>> root at kayve-laptop:~/apt-gets# uname -a
>>> Linux kayve-laptop 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 02:39:34
>>> UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>

>> note the 64 bit kernel. "x86_64"
>>
>>> root at kayve-laptop:~/apt-get
>>>
>>> I bought MatLab and here are instructions given to me:
>>>   Student Downloads
>>> Linux (32-bit) Download and Installation Instructions
>>>

>> note the 32 bit software version "Linux (32 bit)"
>> ... ... ...
>
> Well spotted.
>
> If needed, 32bit Matlab can still be installed and run on x86_64 by
> using -<arch> command line parameter:
>
> install -glnx86
>
> and then
>
> matlab -glnx86

As you may have noted, I was given similar instructions by a MatLab
support agent.

Now I am looking at this website:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/current_release/linux.html

I remember looking at a similar site, and now I am irritated because I
don't remember feeling like I had a 64 bit option, but that is contrary to
what appears to be implied by the above website.  ... Oh.  That is the
"professional version?"  ( I have the student version)

THe support guy seemed to think I didn't have any 64 bit option

[:: clip from MatLab tech support ::]

This error indicates that you are installing MATLAB on a 64 bit Linux
distribution.  Due to product incompatibilities, the MATLAB Student
version is available in 32-bit only.  Thus installing MATLAB on a 64-bit
Linux or 64-bit Windows is not supported.  The MATLAB Student Version is
supported on 64-bit Mac OS X, but the software runs in 32-bit mode only.

[:: end clip ::]

> - --
> Sarunas Burdulis
> Systems Administrator
> Department of Mathematics, Dartmouth College
> http://math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas

   Kayven Riese, BSCS, MS (Physiology and Biophysics)
   (415) 902 5513 cellular
   http://kayve.net
   Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org