sudo versus #

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Wed Feb 10 20:00:29 UTC 2010

It's my understanding that the sudo command basically executes the
subsequent command as superuser.  I fail to see the difference between
having a # prompt logged into superuser and sudo, other than ensuring that
you don't make mistakes, unless having the terminal open can allow
attackers to infiltrate the system?  I have been using command line unix
for a long time.  I don't make mistakes.  What is the real implications of
sudo?

Also, I notice that when Ubuntu gives me those update dialog boxes my root
password doesn't work to allow the installation to go forward.  This makes
me irritated, because it instead wants my normal user password, which for
me by design is a weaker password that I use for more things and thus
could be more easily cracked.  My root password is longer and I use it for
less things.  Both are immune to dictionary attack, but it bothers me the
way this subverts my configuration.

   Kayven Riese, BSCS, MS (Physiology and Biophysics)
   (415) 902 5513 cellular
   http://kayve.net
   Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org