offlist reply - Re: 6 GB of RAM but just 4 working

J dreadpiratejeff at
Wed Feb 10 14:44:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 08:52, Ray Leventhal <ubuntu at> wrote:
> J wrote:
> <huge snip>
>> So yeah, in theory, a 64bit should allow for addressing up to the
>> proverbial gob, but in reality, it's still closer to addressing a very
>> large goober ;-)
> I didn't want to add to the noise on the list, so am posting to you
> privately...but I have to say this..I just have to:
> Jeff...this excerpt is my current favorite chuckle on the ubu list :)
> thanks for the laugh as well as the informative post.

HAHAHA!  Glad you like it... I don't even know where it came from, it
just sort of came out that way...  heh...

And I wouldn't worry too much about noise, Karl does a pretty good job
of keeping the signal to noise ratio close to 1:1 ;-)

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
day." -