Why is the file /bin/false so large?

Justin Gruenberg justin.gruenberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:26:42 UTC 2010

I want to appoligize first, because this is probably going to be a top
post. I've been drinking.

Yes, we could make a smaller true or false. Its an exercise left to
the entry level CS student.

However, there are standards. They were followed for the version
Ubuntu includes. It includes some cruft that's not normally used.
But, how often are these utils actually called?  I doubt its enough to
really put a lot of thought into replacing them. I'd bet if this is
really a bottleneck in your scripts, you should post them and the
experts around here could give some pointers to make things faster.

Sent from my mobile device