Grubb list menu

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 01:09:37 UTC 2010

>> $ sudo update-grub
>> Generating grub.cfg ...
>> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic
>> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-19-generic
>> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-18-generic
>> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-18-generic
>> Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
>> Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
>> Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda2 <=== this
>> Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda3 <=== and this
>> done

> I ended up commenting out (#) those last two entries. Of course tested
> with 'sudo update-grub' and they came back (expected). Commented them
> out again & life in the boot lane is much easier now. I'll wait to see
> if the new kernal updates that seem to be appearing every few days (I'm
> on -20 now) will change the commented out grub.cfg entries. I suspect it
> will.

> Also, wrt my comments about grub2 being a PITA; I am referring to issue
> like this whereby there are so many interacting files that it is
> difficult to simply edit one file (as in 'menu.lst') and have the
> preferences stick. I'm quite happy that grub2 picks up the 'Vista'
> entries etc., but not happy that there doesn't (yet) seem to be a way to
> refer to a 'master' grub2 menu file (outside of the generated grub.cfg)
> that will allow commenting out those entries to stick.

I have been looking at /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober and I think that I
have found a solution to your update-grub recovery problem.

Back up /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober, make the following change, and run update-grub

Add

***begin
# Begin WinRecov removal
if [ "$LONGNAME" = "Windows Vista (loader)" ] ; then
continue
fi
# End WinRecov removal
***end

between

***begin
if [ -z "${LONGNAME}" ] ; then
LONGNAME="${LABEL}"
fi
***end

and

***begin
echo "Found ${LONGNAME} on ${DEVICE}" >&2
***end