Nautilus totally unresponsive

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Tue Feb 9 22:07:09 UTC 2010

Rashkae wrote:
> David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>
>> Been struggling to fix this problem all week. Tried pretty much every
>> "solution" I can find online.
>>
>> Nautilus is basically frozen. I can set-up a new user and it works no
>> problem. If I run it as root using gksudo, I can open folders, but the
>> desktop is stuck fast.
>>
>> I've tried deleting .nautilus
>>
>> I've tried deleting .config and .gconf
>>
>> Also, gfs-metadata.
>>
>> I've renamed the following directories ~/.gnome ~/.gnome2 ~/.gconf
>> ~/.gconfd and rebooted but no go.
>>
>> There's some conflict going on. If I sudo killall nautilus and restart
>> with nautilus I get this warning:
>>
>> Code:
>>
>> nautilus
>>
>> ** (nautilus:3194): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'UploadFinished'
>>
>> ** (nautilus:3194): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'DownloadFinished'
>>
>> ** (nautilus:3194): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'ShareCreateError'
>> Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
>> Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
>>

>> Please help.
>>

>> --DRL
>>

> Quite the perplexing problem...
>
> Just a quick idea, try renaming ~/Desktop, and see if that helps.
>
> After than, I would just start appending a .bak to the folder name of
> every . folder, one at a time, until I found the culprit.

Now why didn't I think about deleting ~/Desktop? Actually the thought
had crossed my mind but I Googled and got lost in the general mayhem of
free advice. Just goes to show how Google is actually leading to brain
disease. I'm absolutely struck dumb and stupid by the solution which was
staring at me but which got downsized by Google.

It should have been the very first thing I did, but no always too open
to suggestions on the forum, and a million other suggestions all not the
right one. Thank you Rashkae, I owe you one.

Regards

DRL