Nautilus totally unresponsive

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 9 20:55:10 UTC 2010

On 02/09/2010 11:40 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> You might try:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install -f && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>> && sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
>>
>> (all one line - or you can do each individually)

> This didn't help, just reinstalled samba which I had removed as one of
> the possible culprits.

As a *last resort* (after you've exhausted all else) you could try:

$ sudo apt-get purge nautilus nautilus-data

Then immediately after that's finished:

$ sudo apt-get install nautilus nautilus-data ubuntu-desktop

And yes, I've just tested on my 9.10 test machine - had to put wicd
(ubuntu-desktop puts network manager back) & samba back, but that was
expected. Also did a reboot to make sure everything came back after a
restart:

$ sudo apt-get purge nautilus nautilus-data
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-session* nautilus* nautilus-data* nautilus-share* ubuntu-desktop*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 21.7MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 256957 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ubuntu-desktop ...
Removing gnome-session ...
Purging configuration files for gnome-session ...
Removing nautilus-share ...
Removing nautilus ...
Purging configuration files for nautilus ...
Removing nautilus-data ...
Purging configuration files for nautilus-data ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...

$ sudo apt-get install nautilus nautilus-data ubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  python-urwid
  gnome-session nautilus-share network-manager network-manager-gnome
Suggested packages:
  desktop-base gnome-app-install samba
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  wicd
  gnome-session nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-share network-manager
  network-manager-gnome ubuntu-desktop
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,551kB of archives.
After this operation, 26.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y