No more OOo in UNR 10.04

xinchen xinchen97 at sina.com
Tue Feb 9 14:22:07 UTC 2010

> I started this dog; didn';t think it would get so big ...!
>
> Due to their cost (minimal) I have several students for whom their
> netbook will be their only computer. Mine, while not my only computer,
> is
> used extensively to take notes, develop and present presentations via
> Impress.  Had I not know about OOo from a my Ubuntu installs, it
> would
> have taken a lot fo work to find it -- work I'd likely have avoided
> in
> favor of the defaults that came with the system. It will also be
> their
> first time with linux.  They simply won't know there is an
> alternative.
> we'll miss an opportunity to show hundreds of new users (eventually
> thousands?) why OOo is a superior product.  It's called baby duck
> syndrome (BDS): the new user imprints with what's presented to them
> first.  They can change, but it takes time and maturity. Witness the
> love
> affair between eduction and Apple.
>
> They may not be many in the scheme of things, but it bothers me that
> we're going to loose those users, or at least a big chunk of them.
>
> I haven't heard anyone say, but is Google Docs FOSS?  If not, that's
> another strike against it as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I find it ironic that Ubuntu is abandoning Google as the default
> search
> engine in favor of Yahoo; then embracing Google as the default for
> UNR.
>

> scrape, scrape, scrape ... sound of soap box being dragged off stage.
i think you are right. To many computer users, a  computer is just a
tool to help them finishing their works. They know little about
computers and linux systems. i think if ubuntu system can not provide
alternative softewares they often use in windows operating system, they
will not choose ubuntu operating system.