No more OOo in UNR 10.04

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Feb 9 13:17:43 UTC 2010

Hi!

On 09/02/2010 14:08, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Yes, but given 4 years and Netbooks will be as fast and strong as
>> desktops are now. Give it 10 years and your glasses will be as strong
>> as your desktop is now.
>>

> And at that time the server will be like a supercomputer and Matlab
> will need no less than 32 GB or RAM. Photoshop will need an eight-core
> CPU and mplayer will need a 40 Ghz processor to decode SFHD video at
> 16000x12000 resolution at 96 fps, dual channel (one for each eye).

Well... for the Photoshop part, back in 1996 when I was at Sun in
France, we had a really fancy server that had 8 system boards... you
could dedicate 7 of them to CPUs and RAM (2 CPUs per board) and the last
one to IO / Graphics... And that machine (the Enterprise 4000 server)
didn't need special air-conditionning.

Photoshop could run on Solaris, and had multi-CPU support. So we
actually had the fastest photoshop machine on the planet at the time,
with a 14CPU and hundreds of megs of RAM to run it on. :) Instant
arbitrary rotation of 80 MB images... Nice. :)

> Netbooks will by definition always be at the low end of the hardware
> specs, and will need to pipe over X the real heavy hitters. As
> hardware improves, software will bloat to need it.

Comparative low end, of course. Since today's netbooks are much more
powerfull than high-end PCs were a few years back. :)

>> I see this as a very short term problem with very long term
>> implications. We don't need to go there. It is a way for firms to get
>> total control of your computer and then charge you for it. By going
>> that way you are hold out your hands and asking for them to put on
>> those free handcuffs!
>>
> I agree with this. But this is an argument for using hardware powerful
> enough to do what you need, not for cramming bloated software into
> underpowered devices. Furthermore, what is to stop you from running
> your own server in the cloud? I do that today.

You can also consider this a "staying alive tactic". Yes... short term
solution to stay relevant in the market. The market being an ever-moving
target.

Gilles.