basic - continued

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Feb 9 01:26:32 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, February 09, 2010 02:17 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
> Not Linus. Gnu/Linux was, if I understand correctly, started by Richard
> Stallman in the early 1980's.

GNU software first ran on Solaris. RMS and gang tried to build a kernel
for the GNU environment and are still trying (HURD - okay, a microkernel
but whatever) or at least some one from the GNU foundation is still trying.

> Tero Pesonen
>
> Is that really true? I always thought that Linus Torvald was the
> originator of Linux, a term which comprised an amalgamation of his name
> and Unix (which is still used by the banks as the most secure OS on the
> planet).
> Am I totally off track?

No. Linux is from Linus Torvald but it is just a kernel. Not enough to
make an operating system. That is where GNU comes in.