[OT - Cloud] Re: No more OOo in UNR 10.04

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 9 01:13:32 GMT 2010

On 02/07/2010 10:15 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> The world is shifting to things online. Soon you'll also be using your
> favorite game console to do word processing... Most people will be happy
> without having to manage themselves their office suite (and won't care
> which brand it is, as long as it provides the services they need).
> Ubuntu is just being there with the head of the pack on this.
>
> Gilles.

Shifting to things online is, IMO, a *big* mistake (anyone for Google vs
China?), but that's just my opinion.

Regarding Sun/Oracle's move to the "Cloud":

Interesting article in Computerworld regarding "Cloud Office" and OOo:

<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9151759/What_we_know_about_Oracle_Cloud_Office_OpenOffice.org>
Product announcements have raised questions Oracle and OpenOffice.org
don't want to answer. Here's what we know.
By Eric Lai
February 4, 2010 06:00 AM ET

As for eliminating an off-line word processor... follow along at:
<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-une-applications>