Full disk encryption: Key on USB storage device

Jens Müller blog at tessarakt.de
Mon Feb 8 21:56:21 UTC 2010

I want to encrypt my Netbooks HDD.

If I understand
http://kuparinen.org/martti/comp/ubuntu/en/cryptolvm.html correctly,
that is possible with the Alternate install CD.

But what I miss: Is it possible to put the key file onto a USB stick so
that it is loaded automatically from there at boot time? Long time ago,
I looked at the Gentoo initrd script, which apparently supports this.

A bit more sophisticated: Is it possible to put the whole boot partition
including the key file onto a USB drive?

I also found https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SmartCardLUKSDiskEncryption, which
sounds nice. Are there such smartcards in the form of a self-contained
USB device which I can put on my keyring?

Thanks,

Jens