No more OOo in UNR 10.04

Mon Feb 8 07:37:38 UTC 2010

Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Don't forget that everything still needs to fit on a single CD.
>
> Just thinking out loud but why ? How many machines out there have a
> CD but not DVD drive these days.
>
> We've long since moved away from "everything needs to fit on a
> floppy", maybe its time to move from CDs to DVDs...

Lots of people have broadband, too, particularly those who don't mind
downloading 4GB install images. Why not have a netinstall CD?

TBH, I don't see much need for a $GB install medium. If bandwidth is
plentiful, as it generally is, you'd do better to download the current
version once, as in a netinstall, rather than download the last
release, and then redownload the current version of everything.

I can see some use for a 'proper' install DVD, especially where you
have little bandwidth but can get to somewhere with loads in order to
get a DVD, but making the standard install media a 4GB download just
seems daft when you could so easily make it a 50mb one.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)