basic - continued

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Mon Feb 8 07:24:48 UTC 2010

Hi!

On 08/02/2010 07:48, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Monday, February 08, 2010 01:01 PM, Michael Haney wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM, TSmith<valhalla2100 at comcast.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> What is the best protection programs- i.e., are as good as the best
>>> Windows protection (anti-virus, trojans&  etc.) to use?
>>>
>> For Windows is use AVAST Free Antivirus.  Its really good, the updates
>> are free and its not a system resource hog like Norton and not as
>> buggy as McAfee.
>>
> Useless. No scan on read/write. It is just a scanner.

What do you mean by "no scan on read/write"? Avast is a scan-on-access
(read or write) antivirus, on Windows.
>> There is a Linux version.  I'm thinking about trying it out
> Hmm...me wonders how it compares to clamav

ClamAV is certainly NOT an on-access scanner on Linux. It provides
somewhat on-access when it is interconnected to a SMB file-server, or a
mail server... but not to file I/O on the system. It's mostly used as an
on-demand scanner in Linux.

Thing is... I think Avast has some on-access features, but it's not
clearly stated. They use components of dazuko project to provide
file-system related features.

In any case, unless you're actually building a file server or a mail
server, having an anti-virus on Linux is pretty much overkill.

Gilles.