basic - continued

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sun Feb 7 10:14:10 UTC 2010

On 07-02-10 09:51, Rashkae wrote:

> "There are no viruses that work with Linux" is not true, plain an
> simple.  A linux box is just as capable of being rooted; without user
> intervention as any other. Mind, I will grant you, that you have to
> broaden the definition of virus a bit.  Since people don't copy binary
> programs from one computer to another, I've never seen an actual 'virus'
> for Linux, but for that matter, it's been over 12 years since I've seen
> one of those for Windows either.

The narrow definition of 'virus' and the distincion with trojan, worm,
rootkit,... is just semantics. From a security point of view, perhaps
it's better to just speak about "malware", but most of the times people
mean all kind of malware when they use the word virus, including the
non-viral malware.

--
Amedee