Grubb list menu

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 01:43:31 UTC 2010

>> I may end up doing one of the above. On the new laptop w/Win7 on it, it
>> picks up the backup/restore partions. While I don't want to permanently
>> eliminate those from grub2, I do prefer to hide them:

>> $ sudo update-grub
>> Generating grub.cfg ...
>> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic
>> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-19-generic
>> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-18-generic
>> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-18-generic
>> Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
>> Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
>> Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda2 <=== this
>> Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda3 <=== and this
>> done

> I should also add that this is a fault in the new startupmanager. I
> removed several older kernel images (-17 etc), and although it had been
> set to default to 'Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1' (for my wife's
> convience as she's trying to figure out Win7 for her work), as soon as I
> ran 'sudo update-grub' & rebooted, the default was set to
> vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic. I had to run startupmanager again to reset to
> Win7.

> I figure it will take a few months/revs to get all of this sorted out;
> grub2 may be the next gen... but IMO it's a PITA compared to grub.

The only advantage that grub1 has/had over grub2 is that you could
just edit menu.lst and run update-grub. grub2 has too many files in
different directories to edit...

I don't think that you can really blame startupmanager. You would have
changed the default startup entry after deleting the older kernels
with or without it. I tried startupmanager briefly and it just edits
/etc/default/grub (incorrectly), /etc/grub.d/00_header (incorrectly),
and, I think, runs update-grub (hopefully it doesn't edit
/boot/grub/grub.cfg!).

Rashkae's suggestion of changing the name of /etc/grub.d/30_osprober
to /etc/grub.d/09_osprober and setting the default to 0 in
/etc/default/grub is your best bet for having Windows be the first
choice through kernel updates.

As for the extra Vista entries, no idea. os-prober does not seem to
have any switches and editing its detection scripts looks like too
much work. Sorry.