Firefox 3.6 x86_64 problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 5 17:08:53 UTC 2010

On 02/04/2010 08:16 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/04/2010 10:22 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> I'm using: Mozilla/5.0 (X11;U;Linux x86_64;en-US;rv:1.9.2)Gecko/20100123
>>> 	   Ubuntu/9.10(karmic)Firefox/3.6.
>>>
>>> In preferences if I set: History->Firefox will: Use custom settings
>>> for    			 history and check (x) Accept cookies from sites 			 and
>>> uncheck () Accept third party cookies and 					 set Keep until: ask me
>>> every time.
>>>
>>> With this setting sites will not load. The status bar  will display
>>> show a dialog and state the site wants to set a cookie and ask if you
>>> want to accept it and provide a checkbox to make this the default
>>> setting for this site.
>>
>> And where did you get this version?
>
> ppa.launchpad.net/main

Not Found

The requested URL /main was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g Server at
ppa.launchpad.net Port 80

>>> This happened in my default profile. Since I had imported a bookmark
>>> file I setup a new, clean test profile and it was the same.
>>> I wonder if anyone else sees this same behaviour?  I'm thinking of
>>> filing a bug, but if it's just me I would want to dig a little deeper so
>>> I don't waste their time.
>>>
>>> BE WARNED if you try this and are using multiple profiles and having
>>> Firefox offer you the option of which profile to use on startup the next
>>> time you start Firefox it will start in whatever profile was active when
>>> you shut it down. To get the multiple profiles option back I had to
>>> clear the cache, shutdown Firefox and reboot Ubuntu.
>>
>> I suggest you read:
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles
>>

> OK, I've read that before when working with profiles on my other
> platform. I was just using profiles to try to troubleshoot my problem.

Yes. Using different profiles to troubleshoot problems is always a good
idea. My point in giving you the link was your "BE WARNED" statement...
<http://support.mozilla.com/img/wiki_up/6e2d77cd857fa24e876097c4af69a4a9-1260152566-432-1.png>
See the little 'Don't ask at startup' box? Unchceck it when you are
using a test profile, that way you'll get the option to select the
profile when you restart firefox. You can check it again when you are
finished testing.