testing out next ubuntu distribution

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetil1001 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:23:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 17:59, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I made a small partition (but large enough) to test out ubuntu 10.04
> > (64-bit),
> > installed it there, and it worked, some time. Then when there apparently
> was
> > some errors in
> > new updates, gnome stopped to start, and the start process dumps me in a
> > shell. Today I did
> > sudo apt-get upgrade
> > which took some time and downloaded and installed a lot,
> > but I am still dumped in a shell. ¿What to do to get gnome back?
>
> I upgraded a Karmic install to Lucid two days ago and had the same
> issue. You can launch gnome with startx.
>
> The problem turned out to be that gdm had been uninstalled because of
> a conflict with usplash (IIRC).
>
> Run
> aptitude full-upgrade
> and gdm will be re-installed.

Thanks. I did aptitude full-upgrade, which resulted in a lot of activity.
Then I did     startx
which apparently "worked" (no error messages) but did'nt give me anything
else
than a shell, apparently (with smaller script!)

Then I restyarted the pc, and now the kernel 2-6-32-12  did' ny even drop me
into a shell!

Restarting again, kernel 2-6-32-12-recovery mode works, I run dpkg, which
did use some time and did
something, but I can still not start as before.

¿Any other suggestions, apart from startin g from scratch??

Kjetil B Halvorsen

"... an entire human genome would fit on a music CD."

--- www.thinkgene.com