Ubuntu centralized login& files

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Feb 5 06:24:36 UTC 2010

On Friday, February 05, 2010 02:15 PM, shali Kallumpuram wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i have a lab with 50 Ubuntu Machines, and all are working fine, now am
> planning to configure a server for controlling all these machines,
> controlling means user accounts and their files, during exam time i need
> to block all the accounts and enable a new accountn etc . what kind of
> server can i use for this purpose??? kindly direct me to a suitable
> documentation .

Yo Ubuntu Domain Server project! Have you got anywhere yet?

Shali,

Setup an ldap server and instruct those 50 Ubuntu machines to use the
ldap directory on the ldap server for authentication and user info. How
to do that is left as an exercise for you.

Controlling their files...what do you mean? If you want to control their
desktop and you also have different groups, I recommend that you use
Hardy, use the KDE 3.5 desktop and use kiosktool to setup the various
desktops. In fact, this is the only way if you want group based desktop
control.