How to avoid flame wars or a certain subject or post article

user1 bqz69 at telia.com
Fri Feb 5 00:10:41 UTC 2010

As the subject lines often are misleading in articles, I have made this
post, which I suggest people to follow up on from time to time, when a
flame war seems to be breaking out.

Please also note the importance of proper subject lines, when asking
questions to this list, so other people at a later time can solve their
problems by searching on the proper subject line contents.

As an example of a bad subject line I use "comfort" which I just noticed,
and which is not very good as a subject for a problem.

###

If you are using an e-mail client like kmail, you could use the spam
filter (spam for the bad guys and ham for the good guys), to "ban"
certain individuals.

###

You could also use pan newsreader, and I have made a fairly short pan
howto:

Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).

Add as news server:

Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"

Add your e-mail address:

Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"

Then Search for e.g. "gmane.linux.ubuntu.user" as group name (use
search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found list and
choose "subscribe".

Please note, that there is thousands of other mailing list groups out
there, and also a lot of other news servers.

gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (is the group for ubuntu-users mailing list)

Practical setup items:

Pan - Edit - Edit Preferences - Behaviour - Groups - mark "Get new
headers in subscribed groups on start up".

Pan - Groups - Get headers - select Get all headers - Execute
This item makes it very important, that ALL subject lines in all posts to
be very DESCRIPTIVE. Then it will be possible to search very distinct for
answers. That is if you have all headers of a newsgroup downloaded in
Pan, you can more easily find your answers. Search in subject lines is
done in top right search box in Pan.
This item has to be done each time you want all groups (maybe a bug).

Pan - View - Header Pane - Choose "Thread Headers" (to sort articles by
threads (toggle on/of)).

When you post/follow up first time you will receive an e-mail asking
you to reply to the mail (to verify that you are you), and when you have
done that you are up to use
the mailing list group using Pan.

This should be done for each new newsgroup you subscribe to.

Using Pan for your mailing lists also give you a much better overview of
your mailing lists I think.

Sorry that I repeat the usefullness of Pan, but it took me several years
to find out how much more easy it is for me to use Pan for your mailing
lists -
a very important "weapon" for getting help in the linux world I find.

***

If anybody has problems with certain spam articles/authors and use Pan
newsreader they can do:

Select the article/s

Then choose: Pan - Articles - Edit Articles watch/ignore/score - Add -
If the group name is "gmane.linux.ubuntu.user - (or whatever the group
name is)
Author -
Ignore the article -
Forever -
Add and rescore

Then they get rid of the culprit/s *humor*

This pan suggestion works fine for me.

Pan seems to be one of the best linux newsreaders I have been able to
find.

See also this link:      http://kb.iu.edu/data/afhc.html

***

An alternative one should not rule out is, that some individuals might
have a kind of Alzheimer demens or something alike illness which make
them start a flame war without knowing, and they can be good people in
spite of that.