How to Wubi Install Ubuntu in VGA mode?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 4 18:14:40 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 08:09 PM, Rocky Mountain High wrote:
> NoOp,
>
> Thank you for the response and I did post the message twice accidentally.
>
> The system is a Compaq Presario 3410US model with the NVIDIA GeForce 4 420
> Go video card, reference:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00284474&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
>
> I am installing Ubuntu 8.04 LTS from a Live CD and if I do not use the VGA
> Safe Graphics Mode to install, after the system reboots to the operating
> system, the graphics are large squares of multicolor all over the screen.
> Installing into a separate partition on the drive with Safe Graphics Mode
> works fine.  However the purpose of using Wubi inside of Windows XP
> Professional is not realized meaning not partitioning the hard drive to use
> Ubuntu.
>
> On a side note, using the third party Nvida driver Unbuntu finds after the
> VGA installation of the operating system does not work correctly either.

Seems that card has issues... perhaps these might be of help:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-96/+bug/348905>
[GeForce4 420 Go issue]
<http://blog.freshnewpage.com/2008/04/26/nvidia-geforce4-420-go-on-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron/>
<http://www.r3uk.com/index.php/home/36-useful-information/14-geforce4-420-go-graphics-card-installation-in-ubuntu-710-gutsy>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/385658>

Can you try the edid suggestions and see if that helps? I would also,
again recommend trying the Alternat CD install as well.

As for Wubi - not sure, but here are links that might help you out:
http://wubi-installer.org/
 http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
  http://wubi-installer.org/support.php

> On additional item I have noticed is using the Live CD to Install Ubuntu
> without changing the system easily allows the use of the Broadcom wireless
> card through the b43-fwcutter , however installing Ubuntu into a partition
> on the hard drive proves to be tricky to make the wireless work consistently
> on every installation.
>
> Finally, wireless with the Broadcom card in Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 using
> b43-fwcutter seem to be much more difficult and I may end up setting up
> NdisWrapper one day.  Does anyone know if Ubuntu 10.04 will address wireless
> with Broadcom cards better?

Quite honestly, I've not had issues with b43-fwcutter; I've used it on
three laptops from hardy thru karmic w/out issues.

> Not being able to install Wubi in VGA mode through Windows means on reboot
> into Ubuntu, the video is blocky with the Nvidia GeForc.e 4 420 Go video
> card

Try the edid workaround above.

> Rocky Mountain High

Please bottom post on this list, thanks :-)