Sharing Files and Printers [Was: Re: How to set up a VPN on Karmic to XP]

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 17:23:33 UTC 2010

On 02/04/2010 03:43 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
> Patton,

Rafiq, I am replying to the Ubuntu list even though you replied to me
personally.  The reason is so that if I get a wrong answer, someone else
may be able to help you.  You will also notice that I rearranged your
reply to me and my answers to follow below your comments.  This is will
help someone who reads ONLY this message understand what we are talking
about.  Then maybe they can help you too!

> On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 00:36 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2010 03:33 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> my offices have a wireless network set up for internet access through a
>>> router. I wonder whether it would be possible to use this as a conduit
>>> for a network linking various PC's (some running XP and other running
>>> Ubuntu)to each other for file sharing and printing.
>>> I have never set up a VPN or anything like it before, so simplicity and
>>> your patience would be dearly appreciated.
>>>

>> [SNIP]

>> What it sounds like you are asking is this:  You have a shared
>> connection to the internet through your router.  You want to use that
>> connection to also share files and printers.  You will want to use Samba
>> on the linux boxes and the built in windows networking on the XP boxes.
>>
>> Can you describe the problem in more detail?  Maybe you can get better
>> answers.
>>

> you have put your finger squarely on my situation. So how do I go about
> sharing files and printers on this existing network?
> Thanks for taking the trouble to guide us.

For File Sharing, this guide has a good description:
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/internet/C/networking-shares.html

It is written for 9.10 (Jaunty?) not Karmic but is still pretty much
valid.  Some things are a little different.  In my opinion the Using
Nautilis section is easier than the first section.  I have not gone to
Karmic yet, but I hear that when you right click on a folder to share,
the pop up menu will not have "sharing" .  Look for "Properties" and
sharing is inside that one.

Try that guide and, If you have problems, reply to the list with what
you have done and what problem you are having.

I have run out of time this morning to answer about printers.  I will
check back later today when I have time.  If no one has pointed you to a
good guide, I will find the one I used.

--PE