Ubuntu Server 9.4 - mail is stored in ~/Maildir AND /var/mail/

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Feb 4 16:28:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 03:10:36PM +0100, Hannes wrote:

        ...........snip............

> The procmailrc files all look similar to this:
>
> UMASK=007
> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
> LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
> SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> :0:
> * ^To:.*name at domain.com
> $HOME/Maildir/
>         How can I disable this?

In ~./.procmailrc:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/<filename>

If you do this you shouldn't need the recipe.

Comment out anything else that refers to MAILDIR.

Look at the bottom of your ~./.procmailrc file and you will see:

# Messages that fall through all your procmail recipes are delivered
# to your default INBOX. To find out yours, run 'procmail -v'

On my system :procmail -v yields, in part, this:

Your system mailbox:	/var/mail/holtzm

I think that is hardcoded into the program.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279