How to set up a VPN on Karmic to XP

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 08:36:28 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 03:33 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> my offices have a wireless network set up for internet access through a
> router. I wonder whether it would be possible to use this as a conduit
> for a network linking various PC's (some running XP and other running
> Ubuntu)to each other for file sharing and printing.
> I have never set up a VPN or anything like it before, so simplicity and
> your patience would be dearly appreciated.

If all of the computers are network connected through the same router,
then you may not need a VPN at all.

The typical small office has all the computers sharing an internet
connection through a router.  They all get their IP addresses from the
router, usually in the 192,168.xxx.xxx range.  (The default setting of
many of the appliance routers on the market) Is that yours?

If that is the case, you do not need a VPN  -- a Virtual Private
Network, because the computers sharing the are IN a private network and
you do not need a Virtual one.

VPN is used where you want to network the same way as I described above,
but one or more of the computers in the network access the network over
insecure public connections -- the internet.

What it sounds like you are asking is this:  You have a shared
connection to the internet through your router.  You want to use that
connection to also share files and printers.  You will want to use Samba
on the linux boxes and the built in windows networking on the XP boxes.

Can you describe the problem in more detail?  Maybe you can get better
answers.