How to Wubi Install Ubuntu in VGA mode?

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 06:37:04 UTC 2010

I'm not sure how to do that.  I know Wubi reboots to a GUI mode that's
guided by an install script.  The Alternative CD is the only way I
know of to install using Safe-Mode graphics (ASCII graphics).

What issues do you have when you install the Nvidia graphics drives?
Is it the fact that you can't access resolutions beyond 640x480?
If this is so its due to the new way X.org detects you're graphics
hardware and monitor.  Previous versions of Ubuntu before 7.10 would
let you specify what type of monitor you have manually from the screen
resolution app.  Its was removed in 8.04 and hasn't been put back
since.  This has caused a lot of chaos, since X.org doesn't always
properly detect what kind of monitor you have and what settings it
will support.  To get around this problem I have to keep copying and
pasting segments of my older xorg.conf file into new installations
just so I can get a resolution of 1024x768.

I wish this feature was put back.  Shouldn't have been removed to
begin with.  Its a serious inconvenience and has been a deterrent for
some who wanted to try Ubuntu but were unable to fix the problem.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1