Xorg often taking a lot of CPU, whole system slow

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 4 00:22:16 UTC 2010

On 02/02/2010 12:19 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> These might be of help:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/HighCPU
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Backtracing
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Reporting
>> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=kubuntu+%2Bxorg+%2Bcpu&btnG=Search>
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/294972>
>>

> Thanks Gary, I'm going through them now.

Well... so am I. I have one system that is freezing w/Ubuntu; locks up,
screen is still there but no mouse or keyboard. I have to hard reboot to
get it working again & I suspect it's an X problem. Dualboots to WinXP
w/no issues, checked the drives & all check out fine as does the memory,
exact same hardware & bios versions as two other systems (MB, graphic
card, etc), tried different kernals, have 8.04, 9.04, and 9.10 on it &
they all seem to lock randomly.

So... I'm also adding:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze
to the list.