basic

q0k q0k.character at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:17:25 UTC 2010

I found about Nautilus over here: http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Screenshots
Its browser mode is with tree view.
This "file management" is no longer a question.
Thank you!

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 03/02/2010 13:38, q0k wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
> <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, February 3, 2010 11:41, q0k wrote:
>> > 2 basic questions.
>> >
>> > 1) I have been using Windows for 5 years. Why should I choose Ubuntu?
>> > 2) Which version is better for home use by a student - 9.10 or 8.4? Why?
>>
>> This mailing list is for Ubuntu user technical support, not for general
>> discussions.
>>
>> I'm sorry but you don't seem to have a technical support question.
>> May I suggest that you ask your question on sounder at lists.ubuntu.com?
>
> Thank you. I will be no longer writing to this list about these 2 basic
> questions. Excuse me.
>
> Ignore Amedee's ****** mail. You are very right to ask these questions here.
>
> And you are very right in looking at Linux, and in particular Ubuntu as an
> alternative to Windows. For some users, it definitely does the job.
>

> You do need to make sure the useful features of your current hardware work.
> In particular, display drivers, networking, and then things like audio, and
> specific peripherals (scanners, printers...). Good news is you can try
> Ubuntu as a live CD. It will even tell you if there are proprietary drivers
> available for your hardware (I strongly recommend you use them, in
> particular for NVIDIA graphics accelerators).

Maybe any person in this list has a Fujitsu S series laptop at home or
in  a shop? In the latter place, you could buy it, test it, and then
bring it back to the shop before 14  days come out as an "unsatisfied
customer".

Happily NVIDIA is on Fujitsu E series and not at S series ...

 I don't know almost single bit about drivers and would like to know
what will work out of the box and what will not. I have some important
information on my computer - I can backup it, but still I would like
the  Ubuntu installation to be predictable. Maybe you try it out  and
say what drivers I need in advance? A video of the installation would
be good because it's without GUI and therefore complicated