64 bit info

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Wed Feb 3 22:33:17 UTC 2010

Christopher Rob JONES wrote:
>> Notice I have 2 GB of RAM and the 64bit 9.10 is using just 1.45
>> GB of the RAM. I wasted $92 on new fast RAM which I was assured
>> you need.
>
> Sorry, but no one in the infamous 32 V 64 bit thread said you
> *have* to have 4GB to run the 64 bit version. *You* incorrectly
> made that assumption (or mis-read) someone. Your mistake, no one
> else's ...
>
> The statement has always been *if* you want to use 4GB or mode, you
> need 64 bit, but 64bit linux will run just fine with less. No one
> has ever said otherwise...
>
> Chris

...and as has been noted elsewhere several times (so I'll make it one
more), without > 4gb of RAM there's no perceivable benefit running 64
bit vs 32 bit apps. Put 8gb on and you're cooking with gas. Assuming
one has the relevant amount of RAM, and a processor + mobo combo that
is designed for a 64 bit O/S, 64 bit Ubuntu sparkles. I'm running 9.10
64 bit on several AMD CPU (dual, triple and quad core) machines with
excellent performance and stability.
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk